Wednesday 20 May 2009

A Minor Identity Crisis!


I'm becoming intrigued by some of the applications that can very easily be bolted on to blogs such as this, especially ones from the "what I'm currently reading" stable, where you can display a list of books that you have read, are reading, or are planning to read.

Assuming that you're a wide reader, which books do you add to your personal list: the ones that you expect others also to have read, or the ones that are probably more obscure?

At a deeper level, this actually raises the issue of personal identity: are you defined by what you have in common with others, or by those things that mark you out as different?

So, which books should I add to those already displayed on my list on here? Do I opt for safety in numbers and go for Remains of The Day, something of Bill Bryson or one of the books of contemporary poetry that I know a few of you will have read, or potentially flag myself as being somewhat eccentric and add The Dominion of Wyley McFadden (excellent and disturbing debut novel by Canadian author Scott Gardiner), English Society In the 18th Century by Roy Porter, and Olympisches Feuer by Liza Marklund (German translation from Swedish of a psychological thriller)?

I guess that the simple answer is that they should all be added! Just wondering though: if I added Fahrenheit 451, might my PC burst into flames?

No comments:

Post a Comment